What are the Australian Privacy Principles APPs?
The Australian Privacy Principles are principles-based law developed by the Office of the Australian Privacy Commissioner OAIC https://www.oaic.gov.au/ . These provide an explanation for an organisation to develop their personal information handling practices.
A breach of an APP is defined as an ‘interference with the privacy of an individual’ and can lead to regulatory action and penalties.
Australian has 13 privacy principles:
1. Open and transparent management of personal information
2. Anonymity and pseudonymity
3. Collection of solicited personal information
4. Dealing with unsolicited personal information
5. Notification of the collection of personal information
6. Use or disclosure of personal information
7. Direct marketing
8. Cross-border disclosure of personal information
9. Adoption, use or disclosure of government related identifiers
10. Quality of personal information
11. Security of personal information
12. Access to personal information
13. Correction of personal information
Please Contact Us if you would like to discuss how your business is managing privacy.